The Coaching Relationship – studies from coaching psychology or psychotherapy tell us that:
1. The quality of the relationship between coach & client is key to any successful coaching engagement
2. It’s the biggest single factor, at around 30%, that drives successful outcomes for the client.
Some key relational considerations are:
1. Being authentic.
2. Demonstrating empathy – demonstrating being the operative word.
3. Unconditional Positive Regard – being non-judgmental, showing care & respect for the client
4. Collaborative – it’s a meeting of equals, NOT the expert coach v. the novice client
5. Goal and outcome focused – mostly non-directive, but solutions focused
So work hard on developing a collaborative, trust-based, non-judgmental relationship as the start point for a great outcome.
Author: Simeon Boseley
Simeon Boseley is a highly experienced Coach & Retail Consultant that provides coaching & leadership development for individuals, teams and organisations via a unique blend of practical leadership experience, coaching expertise and the very latest credentials from the worlds of behavioural psychology and neuroscience.